Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families: Doctrine And Covenants 2021, January Week 2: January 4-10, Joseph Smith—History 1:1–26 “I Saw a Pillar of Light”
Click the "Download PDF" button above to download the entire lesson packet. The file will appear in a new window. If nothing happens, then you probably have a pop-up blocker on that will need to be disabled. This is a large file so please be patient when downloading. If you'd like just the black and white images, click here. If you just need the front page of instructions, click here. If you have troubles with the PDFs, click here to download the pages as JPGs. This will be a zip file that will download to your computer and you will need to "unzip" it to view the files. To unzip a file: if you have a mac, double click on the file name; if you have a PC, right click on the file name and select "extract"; If you are on an iPad, you will need to install an app in order to unzip the file.
Our 4 Devotional lesson plan follows right along with the Manual: Come, Follow Me—For Individuals and Families: Doctrine And Covenants 2021, January Week 2: January 4-10, Joseph Smith—History 1:1–26 “I Saw a Pillar of Light”
We have designed these packets to be used for families of ALL ages! There are activities and coloring pages for the little ones, and there are worksheets, activities, and discussion questions for older children and teens!
- Sunday Lesson: This is a longer lesson and will take 30-45 minutes depending on how much your family likes to discuss! This will be similar to a traditional Family Home Evening or can be used for a Church service at home. Begin with a prayer and choose a song if your family likes to sing. This year the Church has included a list of Suggested Music for Families. They can be found HERE. Sunday would be a great day to use this lesson, but pick which day works best for your family. The lesson this day will teach your family about why Joseph Smith is the Prophet of the Restoration.
- Devotional 1-3: should take about 10-15 minutes (sometimes longer depending on your family.) We have broken up the days so that you can finish learning about Jesus Christ's visit to the Nephites during the week, with extra activities, discussion questions, and games for families of all ages.
- The main instruction page of our packet is divided into 4 days of devotionals, all on one page. This will help you have easy reference to the instructions for each day. They can be guided by the parents, or assign a day to each member of the family. Choose a time to have your devotionals - breakfast, family prayer, driving around in the car - whichever works best for you! Have the person prepared to start the devotional and prepare any printables that you will be using. Not every day will have a printable or an activity. Some days are just discussion questions. Don't stress if you skip a devotional, just move onto the next or combine them! We encourage you, as parents, to study the suggested scriptures each week ahead of your family. This will help you be prepared to guide the devotionals and be ready for questions that are asked.
- QR Codes: This week's lesson contains several QR codes:
- To use the QR Codes: You will scan the QR codes using your phone or iPad. The best way to figure out if your device can read QR Codes is to open your Camera app and point it steady for 2-3 seconds towards the QR Code you want to scan. Whenever scanning is enabled, a notification will appear. If nothing happens, you may have to go to your Settings app and enable QR Code scanning. If QR Codes isn’t an option in your settings, your device, unfortunately, can’t scan QR Codes natively. But don’t worry, this only means you’ll have to download a third-party QR Code reader app. If your camera isn't working on the QR code, just go to your APP store and download a QR Scanner app. Then follow the instructions within the app.
- If you're not printing the main page, the QR codes are also clickable links! Open the PDF in your computer, click on any of the QR codes, and they will take you to the website.
- should take about 10-15 minutes (sometimes longer depending on your family.) We have broken up the days so that you can finish learning about Jesus Christ's visit to the Nephites during the week, with extra activities, discussion questions, and games for families of all ages.
If you're on Instagram, be sure to tag us (@loveprayteach) if you post a picture or story of your family using our packets! We love to see how your families are using the materials!
Subscribe to our HOME & FAMILY Membership!
Our Weekly Home and Family Printable Packets Include:
Weekly lesson plan: In our 2021 Doctrine and Covenants Family Packets, we include 4 devotionals. The first devotional includes a longer lesson that will take about 30-60 minutes. The other 3 devotionals include 10-15 minute lessons. As a family, you can choose the day you'd like the longer lesson (During this time of having Church at home, our Devotional 1 lesson is designed as a Sunday family lesson. It includes an activity for the overall theme or story for that week's scriptures, plus an activity for Primary children and an activity for the Youth.) Then choose to have the devotionals in the morning or evening. Maybe you have it during breakfast or at the dinner table - whatever works best for your family! Our devotionals are just suggestions and you can combine them or break them up to fit your family's schedule.
Activities and Printables: Included in the lesson plan are coloring pages, cut and color activities, object lessons, links to videos, question cards, links to helpful articles in The Friend Magazine, etc. We give suggestions for older and younger children so you can use what works best for your family.
Our main goal for these packets is to make it easier for you to teach your family! Let us do the hard work and you can focus on teaching your children, not spending hours trying to come up with activities, coloring pages, or object lessons on your own! We have seen the miracle of Come, Follow Me in our own homes and we know each of you can be successful!